Unhappiness, disappointment, anger; All are signs of expectations not being met.
Ever have that feeling of being let down, or angry without justification?
Like no matter how hard you look at yourself in the mirror, you just can’t figure out why you feel the exact way that you do?
In those instances, it’s easy to find yourself wanting to throw your hands up, wanting to quit, wanting to start over, or wanting to sit on the couch and watch re-runs of Aaron Sorkin’s West Wing.
When you are feeling like this, and you can’t figure out what the hell is wrong with you, this is the best time to ask yourself, “What expectation is not being met?”
- Is it that you thought you were going to make more money?
- Is it that you thought the graphic would have come out differently?
- Is it that you were expecting more support from the people around you?
- Is it that you thought you would be in a different place in your life by now?
Whatever it is, you can take the following steps:
- Figure out what expectation of yours is not being met
- Figure out how to take control of that scenario
At the end of the day, the one thing you really want is plain old control; the ability to rub the genie’s lamp and wish the circumstance different in one way or another. But as we know, it requires a lot more work than just a wish. It requires action. Real action.
I’m a bit of a dreamer and an overachiever. Between the two of those attributes of my personality, I often find myself not feeling fully satisfied, and I constantly need to ask myself what expectation is not being met. Eventually I figure out what I need to take control over.
Now, all this being said, remember, no matter how hard you are on yourself, and no matter how much you may want a different result, offer yourself some well deserved gratitude and recognition for what you HAVE done, for the fact that you ARE doing it, and for the joy that you ARE one of the minority who are willing to take true steps to pursue your passions.
Expecting a Lot from The Legacy of You,
**POST BLOG WORKSHOP**
I would love to grow together; please share any of your answers in the comments section below!
- Which expectations of yours are not being met?
- What are you going to do to take control of the situation?