Happy New Year TrendErtainment Subscribers!
Let’s ring in the New Year together….
– – –
While Riding to Hebrew School:
As a tween, I listened with my dad to Anthony Robins and Brian Tracy cassette tapes on car rides. I got to hear all about N.L.P and Goal Setting on my way to school, the N.J. malls, and Hebrew School. (Side note: my father is a subscriber to this blog and an inspirational teacher to thousands of young musicians.)
The tapes conditioned me to set goals and make mission statements. According to Anthony Robbins, this was “what you were supposed to do to have a successful life”. As a kid, you believe what you are told. So… Due to the brain washings, I associated pain with not setting goals. Every year, I would set my goals. The repetition did help: by the time I was 13, I had my own business, and by the time I was a senior in high school, I had a fully operational and profitable corporation.
What I Learned When I was 12 Years Old:
Goal setting can be as simple as writing down your top 3 things you want to achieve, or as complex as a full 10-year plan for life. Regardless to how you go about committing to your goals, the mere act of getting them down on paper and (possibly) sharing it with others brings a huge element of reality to your aspirations. To go really in-depth Google: goal setting here.
Just Do It:
I encourage you all to set a minimum of three big goals (RIGHT NOW!) that you would like to attain in your entertainment/arts career this year. I further challenge you to share them with the other readers of the TrendErtainment blog by listing them in the comments section below.
(Dad, I want you to participate in this exercise too!)
For those of you who don’t want to spend too much time on this TrendErtainment exercise, here is a basic set of instructions for simple goal setting:
1) Pick up a pad of paper or pen (or open a new document on your computer).
2) Write down the top three things you want to achieve in the next 365 days.
3) Share these three thing or more in this blog
4) Put your goals somewhere safe and review monthly (Give yourselves an evaluation on how your doing).
It is my GOAL to have a minimum of three readers list their entertainment goals in the comments section below. Perhaps another reader in this blog can help you attain your goal!
Go ahead, what do you have to lose?
I will even follow up with you every other month through the year to see how your progress is doing.
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours:
My Top Entertainment Goals for 2009:
– Further advance my producer chops by: completing the Commercial Theatre Institute 14 Week Workshop, attend industry social events, read books and blogs, attend festivals, and learn from industry role models.
– Develop a new project called “The Best” with these guys (execute the first phase of “The Best” by the summer).
– Develop a social networking form to compliment “The Best” and “The Aspiration Project”.
– Develop one original theatrical show with a workshop before the end of the year (To open in 2010).
– Update michaelcedar.com and trendertainment.com to have a stronger image and content.
– Grow TrendErtainment.com to a minimum of 100+ subscribers by attracting a community of passionate entertainment folk like you and me. (So.. If you are new to the blog, sign up for a FREE subscription through RSS or Email)
– Attend a minimum of 1 theatrical show per week.
– – –
Now… Show me yours !
(A prize to the best set of goals)